Thursday, April 21, 2011

4.21.2011

A few days ago I wrote about how we made our own Cafe Rio pork. I few people asked for the recipe I used so here you go: (sorry about the "abouts"...ha ha. I never measure anything, I just guess. It always tastes about the same.)

PORK
about 2 lbs pork
about 3 cans coke (my recipe says not to use diet, but I have before. Just add a little more sugar!)
about 1 1/2 C brown sugar
dash of garlic salt
1 can sliced green chilies
can enchilada sauce
another cup of brown sugar

Put pork in heavy duty bag with 1 1/2 cans of coke & about 1/4 C brown sugar & marinade overnight.(ha. I never do that! But that's what my recipe says to do)
Drain marinade and put pork, about 3/4 can of coke, water and garlic salt in crock pot on low until it shreds easily-about 3 hrs? depending on your crock pot. DON'T LET IT GET TOO DRY! ) Remove pork from crock pot and drain any liquid left in the pot. Shred pork.
In a blender, blend a can of coke, chilies, enchilada sauce & 1 C brown sugar. Use your judgement with the consistency-if it's too think add more coke. If it seems too thin add some sugar. Put pork and blended mixture back in the crock pot and cook on low for a couple more hours. THat's all I do. It's super easy.

DRESSING
1 packet traditional hidden valley ranch mix
1 C mayo (I use light because that's what we have and it's still good)
1 C buttermilk
2 tomatillos, remove husk, diced
about 1/2 bunch of cilantro
1 clove garlic (I just use minced because it's easier)
juice from 1 lime
1 jalapeno (I remove seeds, if you want it spicier keep the seeds..I don't know how spicy it gets, I've never kept them in :) )

Mix all ingredients together in the blender, that's it! Taste it, sometimes I add a little more lime or a little more cilantro.

We just use brown rice & a can of black or pinto beans. I don't do anything special with the rice or beans.

Sam usually uses the ingredients to make a burrito, I prefer a salad. You can basically make whatever you want.

ENJOY!


Oh and because it's rainy and stormy today, here's a picture I took the other day of my little dude. Enjoying the outside. Wish it was nice again today :( But I love this picture.

2 comments:

  1. Hi T...are you still collecting rocks?? Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I will have to try your delicious recipe ... Sounds YUMMY!! I love the pic of T playing outside :-) XOXO

    ReplyDelete